It hasn’t always been the easiest path, being genetically unemployable, but with creativity and diligence I have created a life where I usually can’t tell the difference between working and playing. Is your life that way?
It can be, not overnight of course and not without a lot of work. First you have to decide and document what you want that life to look like, maybe even pull together a vision board. Here is an example: (my initial goal)
- work 2-3 days per week
- be able to work from anywhere
- be financially independent
- enjoy the my work, be passionate
My description has evolved over the years to include more specifics, but in the beginning all I focused on was the list above. I started with figuring out what I was passionate about (which has also evolved over the years) and found I LOVED talking and teaching about Search Engine Optimization to small businesses. Best of all is taking the mystery out of the process and helping them create a step-by-step process for success.
It fit the bill, I could handle client accounts from anywhere and teach in areas of the country I enjoyed living in or visiting. To make this even sweeter, I already had years of experience which was hard to find even then. Today, not much has changed except for starting some of my own personal website projects the relate to my newer found passions.
Sometimes you have to be more creative on how to use your skills and/or passion to create a career and lifestyle, I’m here to show it can be done! Most important you have to believe in yourself, your product/service and persevere the hard times … there will be hard times.
- Remember why you’re there and what is ahead of you
- Find a group of people in your field that are more successful
- Develop a relationship with a mentor that will answer your questions and guide you to YOUR goals
- Make sure your having fun along the way, don’t lose sight of your passion …